Family history — this is why people often look for a professional genealogist because it is difficult to understand many documents on your own, which are written in illegible handwriting. Particularly difficult the work in the archive, registration on genealogical sites and forums. Even the question “how to start genealogical research of ancestors” often remains difficult to know.
In fact, in some situations can help only the professional genealogist.
BUT! What you can do yourself now to convey the history of the family in a more complete and structured way:
– communicate with relatives and record as much detail as possible of all the memories, situations, facts that they can remember from the stories of their ancestors who lived earlier and tell about themselves.
Advice! It is better to record such interviews and family meetings with stories and memories immediately on-camera, audio, or in writing.
– to collect all photos, scan them and store them on a separate flash drive/ folder/cloud.
– to find all documents from the place of birth, death, place of study, work, civil service, they will be very useful to you in the further course of the research.
A professional genealogist can help you supplement your family history for tens of years, perhaps even centuries in depth!
How professional genealogist can help you?
– to reveal interesting facts about ancestors who lived in other centuries;
– to study and restore the biography of each family member, and even can document certain facts;
– to establish and confirm nationality, social and religious origin;
– to restore military documents of those who participated in the Second World War;
– to establish ownership of the property of your ancestors;
– to find relatives and help restore lost ties;
– to establish the fate of the repressed, request their files, which could contain a lot of interesting information;
– organize trips to the cities/villages and places of interest where your ancestors lived;
– to arrange a meeting with relatives.
Family search process
Family history research is always interesting and exciting. The family search process is often similar to a detective investigation. It is necessary to interview all witnesses, look for information in social networks, books and archive documents, and compare the data found among themselves. The story of one person is part of our general history. Research of family history helps you learn more about the history of the city, country and the investigated era. Sometimes a thorough research of the fate of one person makes better understanding of large-scale historical events than any other source of information. The knowledge of the history of the family helps to understand how different events and moments manifest in the life of your current relatives. And through your own example, you can pass on the veneration of the family to your children and next generations.
Unfortunately, the documents are aging and many archival files will be denied, every year there are fewer facts that can be collected. It is becoming increasingly difficult to include them in genealogical research. Therefore, it is better not to postpone the research of your ancestors and analyze the safety of documents from the places of residence of your relatives right now!